Independence Meal – A meal in which ALL or most of the ingredients are grown right here on our land. Homegrown Meal Ingredients are colored GREEN.
3 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
1 bunch of green onions finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 to 8 tablespoons milk, divided (used our fresh raw goat’s milk)
4 eggs (from our hens)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, saute the spinach and green onions in 1 tablespoon butter for about 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, stir flour, 5-7 tablespoons milk and salt until smooth.
- Add to spinach; cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Set aside and keep warm.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper and remaining milk.
- In another skillet over medium heat, cook half of egg mixture in the remaining butter.
- As the eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath.
- When eggs are set, spread spinach mixture over half of the omelet.
- Fold omelet in half (or quarters as I did because it tore) and transfer to a plate. Make 1 more omelet with the remaining ingredients and top the omelets with any leftover creamed spinach 🙂